PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse (11/9-11/15)

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Lighthouse

Since this was suggested earlier, we will have a contest on lighthouses. The main subject of your picture must be a lighthouse.

Note that this has to be a "real" lighthouse, not a toy or a miniature or a decorative piece (like the one you can find at a Disney theme park). It need not still be a working lighthouse, but it must have been a working lighthouse at some point.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hecata Head Light house on a misty summer day.

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/Hectahead.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is gorgeous, Integral!

Cause it’s a Heave! Ho! Hay! Ho! Comin’ down the plains
Stealin’ wheat and barley and all the other grains
It’s a Ho! Hay! Hi! Hay! Farmers bar your doors
When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina’s mighty shores

--The Arrogant Worms

Just how in the hell is one supposed to find a lighthouse in southern Alberta?

Danger said:

--The Arrogant Worms

I guess it would have to be pretty high to be visible, have you checked the local mountian peaks? :approve:
Well, you could always... No, that doesn't make it..

There is always... No, that doesn't either.. Boy you are scr...d. :confused:

Guess this one is for us coastal types. o:)

Danger said:

--The Arrogant Worms

Haha I've heard that song...isn't it like the Pirate of North Saskatchewan or something like that?

Close... The Last Saskatchewan Pirate. Complete lyrics follow, which will probably be moved to a different thread.

I used to be a farmer and I made a livin' fine
I had a little stretch of land along the CP line
But times went by and though I tried the money wasn't there
And bankers came and took my land and told me fair is fair
I looked for every kind of job, the answer always no
"Hire you now?" they always laughed, "We just let twenty go!"
The government they promised me a measly little sum
But I've got too much pride to end up just another bum
Then I thought who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone
I'm going to be a pirate on the River Saskatchewan...
Arrrrrgh!
Cause it's a Heave! Ho! Hay! Ho! Comin' down the plains
Stealin' wheat and barley and all the other grains
It's a Ho! Hay! Hi! Hay! Farmers bar your doors
When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores

Well you'd think the local farmers would know that I'm at large
But just the other day I found an unprotected barge
I snuck up right behind them and they were none the wiser
I rammed the ship and sank it and I stole their fertilizer
A bridge outside of Moosejaw spans a mighty river
Farmers cross in so much fear their stomachs are aquiver
'Cause they know that Tractor Jack is hiding in the bay
I'll jump the bridge and knock them cold and sail off with their hay

Well Mountie Bob he chased me, he was always at my throat
He'd follow on the shoreline but he didn't own a boat
But cutbacks were a comin' and the mountie lost his job
So now he's sailin' with me and we call him Salty Bob
A swingin' sword, a scull 'n' bones and pleasant company
I never pay my income tax and screw the G.S.T. (screw it!)
Prince Albert down to Saskatoon, the terror of the sea
If you want to reach the Co-op, boy, you got to get by me!

Well pirate life's appealing but you don't just find it here
I've heard that in Alberta there's a band of buccaneers
They roam the Athabaska from Smith to Fort McKay
You're going to lose your Stetson if you have to pass their way
Well winter is a comin' and a chill is in the breeze
My pirate days are over when the river starts to freeze
I'll be back in spring time, but now I have to go
I heard there's lots of plunderin' down in New Mexico

Gee, there are so many lighthouses out here in Kansas that I don't know which one to photograph. :frown:

Evo said:
Gee, there are so many lighthouses out here in Kansas that I don't know which one to photograph. :frown:
Maybe Zz will have a special contest for grain elevators. :smile:

You all can direct your complaints to Integral. He was the one who suggested it!

:)

Zz.

Oh yeah! He has an absolutely stunning lighthouse picture stashed away and then suggests the theme so he can RULE! GeoMike, it's time to pull out a winner, and I know you've got 'em. Go Maine!

ZapperZ said:
You all can direct your complaints to Integral. He was the one who suggested it!

Zz.
It's a great category, for people that have pictures of lighthouses. INTEGRAL :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
Maybe Zz will have a special contest for grain elevators. :smile:

YAY! Oh wait...my camera...gone...hmmmm never mind

scorpa said:
YAY! Oh wait...my camera...gone...hmmmm never mind
Well, we could have a contest for motorcycle pictures... I'd just post one of my MANY of the old Wide-Glide, I know I could rope you into voting for it. :devil:

I have a prizewinning photo of a lighthouse. I took it about 10 years ago on Ilford FP4, it's on The Needles on the south coast. I processed it myself, it took hours to get the prints burnt just right to capture the moody clouds.

Unfortunately the original photo is with my rents and it's far too far to travel to get it. But I should win by default, even if Integral's little happy snap does happen to be colourful, at least...!

This is the only lighthouse photo I have. It was taken on Chincoteague Island with my first digital camera. A whopping 1.4 mega pixels!

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6391/lighthousefk4.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Well, we could have a contest for motorcycle pictures... I'd just post one of my MANY of the old Wide-Glide, I know I could rope you into voting for it. :devil:

Haha yeah it wouldn't take to much convincing to get me to vote for that :!)

!

Is it safe for me to stick my head in?

ZAPPER! why'd you have to say that! :smile:

Guilty o:)

But, I bet you will find that Zapper is open to suggestions. I like grain silos and motorcycles... I would be hard put to compete but I would sure like to see what gets entered. :biggrin:

Larkspur you sure have a nice eye for the photo. Beautiful pic.

I am looking forward to getting back to the coast for a repeat of the Hecata Head shot. I took that photo from inside a Road side tourist trap, so it cost me $8 to get that angle. I would like to get that shot with some 30ft breakers hitting the cliffs.

Side note. The "tourist trap" is called http://www.sealioncaves.com/" , a several hundred foot elevator drop to the interior of a cave which is only main land Rookery for the Stellar Sea Lion. The stench is unbelievable. The worst part is that the lighting is such that it is very difficult to get a good shot of the interior.

Integral said:
Is it safe for me to stick my head in?
Sure, son... just rest it right here on this nice block we have for you. :rolleyes:

Do you think that I don't see the ditch out in the valley that you're diggging just for me?

Last edited:
Gee... How thoughtful of you, wanting me to rest like that...

What is that huge axe for anyway! DANGE

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Integral, old sod... if I thought for a second that decapitation would in any way alter your life, I would never have suggested it. :-p

Yeah, many have told me that I lost my head years ago.

As a side note I posted some other pics I took near the light house in Moonbears Disqualified Thread.

Let's not be trying to steer the conversation away from your imminent demise...

As I can't find any exterior lighthouse shots that could challenge those already posted, I decided to go another route. Here's the inside of the Yaquina Head lighthouse, looking up the staircase to the top.
yaquina.jpg

Last edited:
Integral said:
Larkspur you sure have a nice eye for the photo. Beautiful pic.
Thanks Integral!
Integral said:
I am looking forward to getting back to the coast for a repeat of the Hecata Head shot. I took that photo from inside a Road side tourist trap, so it cost me $8 to get that angle. I would like to get that shot with some 30ft breakers hitting the cliffs.
You have quite a collection of nice photos yourself!

Wow, that's really cool, Janus! You've definitely earned some bonus originality points for the choice of perspective. I think that photo just raised the stakes in the contest!

And, Danger, quit complaining. :biggrin: When I get to my other computer, I think the lighthouse I'm going to post a picture of required crossing the continent to photograph! (I don't think I have anything of better quality in old photos from the other coast.)

Janus said:
As I can't find any exterior lighthouse shots that could challenge those already posted, I decided to go another route. Here's the inside of the Yaquina Head lighthouse, looking up the staircase to the top.
yaquina.jpg
AAARRRGGHH! <falls out of chair>

Geeze, just looking at that makes me dizzy.

Moonbear said:
And, Danger, quit complaining.
Sure... one thing in the world that I'm really good at, and you're telling me to stop doing it...

Janus said:
yaquina.jpg

Wasn't this a scene from Vertigo?

Zz.

Janus said:
yaquina.jpg

Very cool. I have no exterior lighthouse photos to challenge the original entry, and I know that GeoMike would kick my ass with his entry anyway, so I have been looking for a photo I took of a lighthouse Fresnel lens many years back. No joy. I have cardboard boxes of prints (never bothered to create an indexed archive, despite almost 40 years of photography.

One of my close friends retired as the head of the Maine Warden service, and I got to do some fairly fun stuff relating to warden training when he ran the training. He pressed me into service photo-documenting warden training relating to coastal-bird habitats, and the final field-training exercises before the trainees graduated. I got to spend most of a week on an island with these yahoos, acting as a poacher in their training scenarios. These were not scripted exercises. Pairs of trainees were given regions of the island to patrol, and I'd sneak into their territory on foot or maybe jump out of the back of a moving pickup at night with my favorite weapon (a sawed-off 12-gauge and a pocketful of blanks). I'd actually target a real deer (the island was loaded with 'em), "shoot it", then walk very slowly back to whatever landmark (like a cemetery) had been designated as the poacher's "house", stashing my gun and the imaginary game along the way. For the sake of realism, we had a road-killed deer and a bear that someone had shot out of season, so we had some real game to use. The wardens had to detect the poaching, locate likely suspects, and find weapons, game, etc to build their case. If they thought they had a case, I was handcuffed, put in the cruiser, and taken to "court" where the senior wardens would act as attorneys and judge and try to tear apart their case. It was pretty fun, even though things got a little too "realistic" at times. That trainee had no call whacking me with his mag-light! All I did was sweep-kick his legs out from under him and send him down during a night-time pursuit on foot.

The Montauk lighthouse at the east end of Long Island, NY. It you can read the sign, it says that it was commissioned by President George Washington. It is the first lighthouse in NY state.

DCP_0288.jpg

Zz.

Well, GeoMike should enter this one (from Water, Water, Everywhere) or another from the same trip

[picture edited out - Zz]

There are lighthouses near me, but I'd have to go up river or down river.

Astronuc said:
Well, GeoMike should enter this one (from Water, Water, Everywhere) or another from the same trip

Pictures that have entered previous contests are no longer eligible, per our rules.

I will have to edit out the picture because only the ones for this contest can appear in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited:
You have 2 more days left to submit a picture for this contest. Obviously, this is a rather difficult contest to just go out and take a picture, unless you happen to be living near a lighthouse.

Zz.

<h2>1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST for this week?</h2><p>The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST is "Lighthouse". This means that all submitted photos should feature a lighthouse as the main subject.</p><h2>2. How long do I have to submit my photo for the contest?</h2><p>The submission period for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse is from November 9th to November 15th. Any photos submitted after this period will not be considered for the contest.</p><h2>3. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?</h2><p>Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse. However, please make sure that each photo is unique and follows the theme of the contest.</p><h2>4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?</h2><p>The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to all individuals who have a passion for photography. It is not limited to any specific age, profession, or location.</p><h2>5. How will the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be chosen?</h2><p>The winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on November 20th and will receive a prize.</p>

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST for this week?

The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST is "Lighthouse". This means that all submitted photos should feature a lighthouse as the main subject.

2. How long do I have to submit my photo for the contest?

The submission period for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse is from November 9th to November 15th. Any photos submitted after this period will not be considered for the contest.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse. However, please make sure that each photo is unique and follows the theme of the contest.

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to all individuals who have a passion for photography. It is not limited to any specific age, profession, or location.

5. How will the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be chosen?

The winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on November 20th and will receive a prize.